It is the Summer term already. We cannot believe how quickly this year is passing.
This is a very busy time of year in year 5. We have exciting learning, trips to look forward to as well as our transition up to year 6!
As ever we are continuing to develop our sentence writing skills for instance through teaching Alan Peat sentence types.
We do expect that all children read everyday at home with someone.
Each child has a planner that you will be able to write positive comments in about how well your child has been reading and understanding what they have read. Please ask them questions to help check that they have understood.
There are rewards for 20, 50 and 100 Book Bucks.
Please remind your child of the fabulous rewards for achieving these reading milestones and check that they are completing the associated reading activities. ( There is a lovely selection of activities in our homework books, although this is not an exhaustive list).
This term we have an exciting IPC unit planned for the children. It is called 'Myths and Legends!'
The Big Idea
People have been telling stories since prehistoric times, not just to entertain but as a means of passing on their history, beliefs and culture. Many of these stories we refer to as myths and legends, stories that are timeless and are as relevant today as when they were first told. By studying these myths and legends we can learn more about the people and the cultures who created them, and understand how we - today - can adapt and craft our own stories for future generations to enjoy.
Explaining the Theme
In History, we’ll be finding out:
- About societies that are well-known for their myths and legends
- About myths and legends from our host country
- About major events in the past
In Music, we’ll be finding out:
- About music that has been inspired by myths and legends
- How to compose a piece of music to accompany a myth or legend
In Art, we’ll be finding out:
- How different artists have been influenced by myths and legends
- About the art of Ancient Egypt
- How to turn characters from myths and legends into comic book superheroes
- How to produce our own piece of art to represent a story we have written
In Society, we’ll be finding out:
- About traditions, celebrations and religious festivals which have been influenced by myths and legends
- How the behaviour of individuals and groups can be influenced by the moral messages of myths, legends and other stories
- How global brands use myths and legends to persuade people to buy their products
In International, we’ll be finding out:
- How stories from around the world are both the same and different
- How myths and legends have affected large areas of the world
- About the stories from the home countries of children in the class
This term the children will be developing their knowledge and understanding about
- timetables, lengths of time, calendars.
- angles, properties of shape and symmetry
- data handling.
- We will ;
- know angles are measured in degrees: estimate and compare acute, obtuse and reflex angles
- draw given angles, and measure them in degrees (o )
- use the properties of rectangles to deduce related facts and find missing lengths and angles
- identify, describe and represent the position of a shape following a reflection or translation, using the appropriate language, and know that the shape has not changed
- Solve comparison, sum and difference problems using information presented in a line graph
- complete, read and interpret information in tables, including timetables.
Following our homework policy ( a copy of which can be found on this site), pupils are expected to:
- read everyday. Reading Eggs is perfect for a reading activity at home.
- learn the times table they are currently working on. All children have access to Mathletics at school and home. Learning activities are set at regular intervals.
- learn their weekly spellings using look, say, cover, write, check - then to use each spelling in a sentence that makes sense,
- to continue to work on their IPC project.
This term we are so excited about the animation activities that we will be involved with.
We will be learning to use our new technology to make our own animations. This is linked to our IPC topic of Myths and Legends. Watch this space for more details..