Welcome to Year 2 Otter's class page. We are a hardworking class of 29 children. Mr Dunn is the class teacher and he is supported by Miss Longfield and Miss Price. You will be able to see all the hard work that we do on this page.
We hope that you have had a relaxing Christmas break and are ready for 2019.
In Year 2 we work extremely hard in preparation for our KS1 assessments which take place in May. To help your child achieve their best you must:
- Listen to your child read a minimum of 3 times a week.
- Encourage your child to practice their weekly spellings and times tables.
- Support your child in their homework.
- Allow your child to research information as part of their ongoing school work.
Follow the link below to access the National Curriculum. Here you can see what your child will be doing in Year 2.
Linking to our IPC topic of 'Our World' we will be reading 'Jamil's Clever Cat' which is a Bengali folktale. We will be following the story of Jamil and his trusted cat Sardul.
Through immersing ourselves within the story we will produce fantastic examples of diary entries, recounts, information texts and also narrative stories.
In order to prepare for our KS1 SATS assessments we will be undertaking regular fiction and non fiction reading comprehension looking particularly at how to retrieve information and how to use inference skills.
This half term we will be focussing on different areas of the Maths National Curriculum. We will be looking to develop our understandings on 2D and 3D shape, fraction of shape and number, time and money.
We will also be continuing to develop our arithmetic skills.
Please make sure that your child practices their 2, 5 and 10 times tables.
This term our IPC topic is 'Our World'. During this unit we will be focusing on Art, Science, Geography, Technology, Music and International.
In Art, we’ll be finding out:
· How to create artwork using natural materials
· How to make a silhouette of our local skyline
In Science, we’ll be finding out:
· About the animals, plants and birds in our local environment
· About the best soil conditions to grow seeds
· How we can recycle and reuse materials to help our environment
In Geography, we’ll be finding out:
· About different wildlife habitats in our local environment
· About the animals and insects that share our local environment
· How our local environment compares with other locations around the world
In Technology, we’ll be finding out:
· How to make model gardens
· How to design and make our own bird feeders
In Music, we’ll be finding out:
· About music and songs, written about the weather
In International, we’ll be finding out:
· How to make a fact file about our home country
The following websites and games are examples of resources used in the classroom to promote a love of learning!