Welcome to Year 2 Otter's class page. We are a hardworking class of 30 children. Our teacher is Mr Dunn and our Nursery Nurse is Miss Longfield. You will be able to see all the hard work that we do on this page.
In the first half term the children will have a fantastic start to a school year and settle into their new class and some new friendships will be made. In the first week of term, we will discuss our rights and responsibilities as part of Otter's Class and as members of Marshfield Primary School.
Within English we will be reading the fiction text 'Meerkat Mail' where we will follow the exciting adventures of Sunny the meerkat. Through using the text the children will create character descriptions, setting descriptions, write postcards and also alternative story writing.
It's important for the children to practice their phonics skills through reviewing existing skills.
This half term we will be focussing on number and place value skills allowing the children to become more confident in written and mental calculations. The children will be using a range of resources such as 100 squares, base 10, numicon and other concrete and visual objects to allow them to interpret and understand key number skills.
We will also recap previously learnt times tables such as 2,5 and 10 times tables.
This term our IPC topic is 'Who am I?' which sees the children explore about themselves, their families, friends and teachers. Our entry point starts with the children creating self portraits. Here's what we will be doing:
During this unit we will be focusing on Society, Art, Physical Education, Science, Geography and International.
In Society, we’ll be finding out:
• About the different groups we belong to
• About the things that make us feel happy
• How to deal with anger
• How to stay safe
• How to make an emergency phone call
In Art, we’ll be finding out:
• How to draw portraits and self-portraits
• How to take a portrait photograph
• About portraits by famous painters and sculptors
• How to design a favourite menu
In Physical Education, we’ll be finding out:
• What activities we can do well
• How we can stay fit and strong
In Science, we’ll be finding out:
• About how our hearts work
• About how we are similar to and different from other people
• About different types of foods
In Geography, we’ll be finding out:
• Which countries we or our ancestors have come from
• How to find our local area on a map
• About different countries we have lived in
In International, we’ll be finding out:
• About the way children in our host country and home countries live
In Year 2 we work extremely hard in preparation for our KS1 assessments which take place in May. To help your child achieve their best you must:
- Listen to your child read a minimum of 3 times a week.
- Encourage your child to practice their weekly spellings and times tables.
- Support your child in their homework.
- Allow your child to research information as part of their ongoing school work.
Follow the link below to access the National Curriculum. Here you can see what your child will be doing in Year 2.
The following websites and games are examples of resources used in the classroom to promote a love of learning!